Expert Care from Back Pain to Complex Spinal Disorders
CHS's comprehensive spine program treats spine, neck and back pain.
Our multidisciplinary team of neurosurgeons, orthopedic spine surgeons, pain management and physical medicine specialists offer patients the best possible outcomes in treating spine and neck disease - from pain management for low back pain to minimally invasive or complex surgical procedures.
At CHS's six hospitals across Long Island, our specialists are committed to high-quality care and provide world-class diagnosis and treatment services.
CHS's spine program includes diagnosis and treatment of the following:
- Back pain
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative disc disease
- Lumbar Radiculopathy
- Neck pain
- Arm and leg pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Compression fractures
- Disc herniation
- Numbness, weakness, difficulty walking
- Pinched nerves
- Spine fractures
- Spinal stenosis
- Spinal tumors
Treating Low Back PainAbout 80 percent of adults experience low back pain at some point in their lifetimes. It is the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed work days. Men and women are equally affected by low back pain. (Source: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
Managing back pain with non-surgical treatments is often the initial course to take with most patients. The goals of non-surgical treatment are to achieve enough pain relief for patients to:
- Participate in normal activities including functioning at home and work
- Participate in recommended physical therapy or rehabilitation program
- Avoid additional injury
The most common non-surgical treatments for patients with back pain or neck pain:
- Interventional pain management
- Provides patients suffering from chronic back or neck pain access to pain management specialists who offer a full range of spinal injections to treat lumbar or cervical pain and other minimally invasive procedures.
- Pain medication
- Physical therapy and exercise
Surgical Treatments for Spine
CHS spine physicians have the training and experience to resolve even the most complex spinal disorders for patients whose conditions require more substantial intervention.
We offer a full range of options for patients who are surgical candidates, from minimally invasive spine surgery to more complex spinal reconstruction. We use the latest technology in neuro navigation systems for greater accuracy, smaller incisions and easier recovery.
During surgery, CHS board-certified neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons are assisted by an intraoperative monitoring team who closely monitor motor skills, muscle and nerves to ensure patient safety.
Patient care continues through recovery with our team of neurosurgical nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and medical staff who provide compassionate and quality care.
Watch the videos below to learn more about our minimally invasive and surgical procedures for spine, back, and neck pain.
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF)
- Cervical posterior foraminotomy
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF)
- Spinal cord stimulator implant
- Spinal fusion (lumbar spine, for treatment of spondylolisthesis (ALIF)
- Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF)